Friday, December 24, 2010

Graduation

Some people say life is about the journey not the individual achievements and I can totally side with that in most cases, and on most days but 3 weeks ago I watched my husband walk the stage at his graduation. I know at times he felt like a hamster on a wheel, he likely thought he'd never see the end; but 6 years, two transfers, and countless semesters of not knowing whether or not he was going to be able to afford to go to school he did it! IT being completing our dream of setting a standard of college education for our kids, because you can't seriously expect your kids to do it if you didn't, IT being breaking the generational cycle of not even pursuing a higher education let alone completing it, and best of all IT being inspiring his younger cousins to follow in his footsteps for it would not be easy but it could be done if you wanted it bad enough. As I was chasing him around First Mariner Arena snapping pictures like I was the paparazzi all of a sudden all the emotions hit me like a brick, I started crying (I didn't even cry at my own graduation). I know his struggle and its probably very similar to a lot of students but when you don't have to live it because you were on a scholarship, or had parents (one or both) who wanted to or did help through school you just don't get it. Through the 5 years of our long distance relationship he'd talk to me about it, and I said I understood him but when he moved here and transfered schools to complete the last of his degree I saw first hand all his ups and downs, frustrations and even tears and it made me realize how amazing he really is. He's kind of my hero, and watching him walk out of the tunnel with his cap, gown and his sigma stole on made me so happy for him that it brought me to tears, still does as I type this, because on that day 3 weeks ago, it wasn't about the journey it was all about the achievement! It just goes to show that really can do anything you want, and if you don't its because you talked yourself out of it! 


 signed, proud wifey! congratulations honey bunches :)

No comments:

Post a Comment